Saturday, March 9, 2013

Wind in your Face & Joy in your Heart.



"Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you...Stand firm...and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, He will restoresupport and strengthen you, and He will place you on a firm foundation. All power to Him forever! Amen."
I Peter 5:7-11


I love to run. I love wind. Put them together and, ehh, not so much. Maybe it’s just my imagination, but ever since I have faithfully started running again, the wind has been out to get me. At one point about a month ago, it was about 6° with wind chill. Even so, I wrapped myself up in layer after layer after layer and went outside. Go ahead, call me crazy - I may or may not do it on occasion.

After a few miles in, I was miserable. Ridiculously miserable. What was I thinking? My were arms pumping as close to me as possible to produce warmth from friction and my scarf was wrapped around my mouth and nose. My head was down to protect my face from being blown off by the wind. My eyes were glaring at the ground as if it was the pavement’s fault I was freezing my butt off. My thoughts were wrapped around my selfish despair. I was completely focused inward.

Then for some reason I decided to look up. The wind whipped at my face, taunting me. Before I lowered my head back down, I glanced to the sidewalk across the street. It was bathed in sunlight. What was I doing?! Here I was, so caught up in myself and my misery that I didn't even notice that not twenty feet away was warmth and some relief. I literally sprinted across the street and stuck my face in the air and smiled as I felt the rays of light dance on my face.

And then it hit me. Yes, it was still the wind, but something else too. I began thinking about how often in life I focus on the negative aspects of people or feelings or circumstances. I wrap myself up in my pain and I nurse my wounds. I stare inward and reflect on my problems. All the while, I am moving blindly. Aimlessly. Miserably.

What if I stopped thinking about myself for one second and looked up instead? Would I not see a Son much brighter, much stronger? Would I not be filled with relief and warmth? I would be in the light; able to see where I was going. The wind will still be there, we were promised troubles and trials. But Jesus also promised that He cares for us and He will take our burdens and our worries if we let Him. 

Not only are we promised problems, but we are told to consider it pure joy. I'll say that again. That metaphorical harsh wind whipping at your face right now - you should be rejoicing for it. Why? Because the testing of our faith produces perseverance, which produces strong character, which produces a confident hope of salvation. And this hope will never lead to disappointment. (See James 1:2-4 & Romans 5:3-5).

Face your wind & Stand firm.

          Don't give up [but] Look up. 

                    Rejoice!


You are growing stronger

You are growing more confident

You are growing in the Son and that is an incredibly beautiful thing




No comments:

Post a Comment